Policies & Procedures
Arrival & Dismissal
- Students are not permitted in the building without adult supervision
- Students should not arrive at school before 8:15am because there is no supervision
- Students may not sit on the steps, the ledges, or wait inside the building
- Students are expected to arrive at school on time. The morning line up bell (8:20 am) is the official start of the school day. If you are late, report to the office.
- Notes are needed after an absence or to leave school early.
- Please observe all traffic and parking regulations posted around the school area.
- Please make sure that your child uses crosswalks and follows all of the rules of safety.
- Please do not ask children to come to your car. Please park your car and walk to school to meet your child.
- Please note that Kindergarten and Grade 1 will continue to dismiss from the back blacktop. Grades 2-3 will dismiss out the semi-circular drive door while Grades 4 and 5 will dismiss from the front doors.
Please note that Grades 1-3 will dismiss out the semi-circular drive door while Grades 4 and 5 will dismiss from the front door. The Kindergarten classes will continue to dismiss from the blacktop entrance and their procedures remain the same.
Please develop a family plan for dismissal. For example, pick up the youngest child first and then have a family meeting area for the other children, for example, the semi circular drive. Do not ask children to come to you at a remote location and do not send them back into the building to find other family members.
- If your child’s routine changes, if a different person comes to meet them or another family is picking them up for a play date, please send a note to the teacher.
Please review the following guidelines for traffic safety and review them with your children.
Do not let your children get out of the car and immediately cross the street. Have them cross only at a crosswalk. This is a problem especially on Clay Avenue, where it is not uncommon for drivers to have to come to a sudden stop as children step out from behind a car. Parents and children may not use the semi-circular drive entrance in the morning. This area is reserved for buses and children have been observed without adult supervision walking around the buses to enter school. This is extremely unsafe and all parents are asked to have this conversation with their children.
Do not double park. Do not park between the "No Parking" signs.
To help you better keep these rules in mind, we have asked the Pelham Manor Police Department to become more active in issuing tickets. No one likes tickets. But we like far less the potential consequences of not acting as safely as possible.
Absence or Tardy Attendance
School begins each morning with the first bell at 8:18 am. Teachers meet classes at 8:20 am and escort their children to classrooms for the start of the instructional day at 8:25 am.
It is disruptive to instruction for children to arrive late to school. When children are not present at 8:25 am and attendance is taken electronically in the classroom, the child must then come to the office to receive a late pass. We are required to do this as a result of state mandates and our district attendance and lateness practice. This trip then takes an additional amount of time before the child starts his or her day and then causes an additional trip back to the room to settle into instruction. All parents are asked to be cooperative with ensuring that children arrive to school on time each day.